Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Car Stories with Music!

So, do certain songs remind you of your times with cars -- riding in cars, buying cars, doing something in cars besides driving or riding in them (ha), watching them, or racing them?  I have a strong car/song memory.

I bought my first car during the summer between my junior and senior years in high school.  It was a forest green, Chevy Vega hatchback, and it was purchased for the primary purpose of enabling me to commute to college, since I didn't have the money to go very far away from home or to stay in a dorm on campus.  It would also help me to get to work to pay for said early college education (I would, many years later, go on to get an advanced degree, but that's a whole other story!).

My car/song memory is of me on a sunny day in my parents' driveway just after I'd gotten all the paperwork taken care of for the car.  The plates were on it; the registration and insurance card were in the glove compartment; my drivers' license was in hand; and I was ready to roll in my small town in upstate New York.  A gassed-up car of your own in a *very* small town spells f-r-e-e-d-o-m!

It was my first time to get in just for the heck of it and take the car out for a spin.  I got in, turned up the radio, and what was playing?  Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama" (1974) -- (see video below).

I can't hear that opening guitar lick even today without going right back to that moment on that day, getting in that little green car on that sunny day in my parents' driveway.  Something clicked with me then about cars that I haven't really returned to until very recently when I began writing about motorsports in late 2011.

I'm not sure I agree with the Southern politics in the lyrics of the song, but who cares!  I still love those guitar licks!  I just crank the song up every time it comes on the radio and go back in my mind to that memory of my first car and how it felt to get out on the open road on my own for the very first time!

That's one of my car/song stories, anyway.  I might have more, if I think more about it.  Do you have one to share?!

[MuseDriving in the car is one of my favorite times to listen to music, and I'm sure it is for other people, too.  What, do you think, makes us link our enjoyment of music with movement?]